This post is also available in: French
“Athletes inspire new Ironman Race Transfer Policy”
The World Triathlon Corporation introduces a new “Race Transfer Policy” for all European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races. This initiative has been shaped by the opinions of hundreds of Ironman athletes.
Effective immediately, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) will substantially change its withdrawal policy for all European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races (excluding Ironman 70.3 Antwerp). For an administration fee of 29 Euro, athletes can transfer their race entry regardless of their reason, and all athletes already entered, or signing up for an Ironman and Ironman 70.3 race prior to December 31st 2011 are automatically enrolled.
“We are offering athletes who can’t make it to a race they originally signed up for a unique chance to still fulfill their dream of finishing an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 in the very same year by choosing an alternate race”, says Stefan Petschnig, Executive Manager WTC for Europe and South Africa.
Feedback from athletes was crucial in shaping the new withdrawal policy. “The response we got took us by storm. Athletes are obviously very passionate about this and hundreds of them talked to us on Facebook and via e-Mail. We strongly believe that the views of our athletes are the most important thing for us moving forward, and we will apply the same procedure to further decisions. “We understand that athletes entrust us with their special day that they have spent months training for. Two new members of our staff will assist athletes with their transfers, to make the procedure as easy for them as possible. We are actually planning another – global – initiative that’ll bring us back to talking to athletes via Social Media”, Petschnig adds.
WTC’s existing policy which allows for an athlete’s cancellation of a race remains untouched by the new program.
Race Transfer Policy / Rules
• all athletes that sign up for an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 race in Europe or South Africa before December 31st 2011 are automatically enrolled. Athletes can still withdraw and receive a refund according to the existing rules. However, the race entries can now be transferred up until two months prior to the date of the race the athlete originally signed up for.
• it is not possible to transfer an entry more than once. Race entry transfers are 29 Euro regardless of the reason for the athlete’s transfer.
• entries for races before August 25th 2012 can only be transferred to races within the same calendar year. Entriesfor races after August 25th can be transferred to any race prior to June 30th 2013.
• race entries cannot be transferred to any sold-out Ironman or Ironman 70.3 event.
• upgrades between Ironman 70.3 and Ironman races are possible, the fee of 29 Euro and the difference in the entry fee will be charged.
• it is also possible to downgrade a race, although the difference in entry fee will not be refunded.
• race entries cannot be transferred to another athlete.
“Race Transfer Policy” / Step By Step
• athletes download the electronic withdrawal form to be found on the event website. They need to complete it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
• athletes opting for a transfer will pay 29 Euro and receive a code that’ll allow them to sign up for an alternate race. In case of an upgrade or a difference in entry fees athletes will receive the code after paying for the transfer and the entry fee difference.